The Tone Beast is a great mic pre with loads of gain that can effortlessly capture an array of sources very well. With top notch CineMag transformers and multiple discrete signal paths, it's hard to beat its big, bold, fully-professional sound at its price.
The Tone Beast is a mic pre that likes to be pushed and when pushed will colorize your
signal ever so sweetly. The 2 opamps and 2 output transformers at the flip of their switches
won't appear to be much different, but as one drives the pre into harmonic distortion, the
unique character of each of these components becomes apparent. The Tone Beast is customizable
and allows users tosourceand swap in their own opamps. I've pulled my best tones from this
pre right at the saturation point (as loud as I can push the gain before clipping). The
output control on the TB12 allows you to limit the signal exiting the preamp even when
pushing the gain to really hot levels, giving you maximum control.
When designing the TB12 Tone Beast our goal was to make a microphone
preamplifieraffordable and jam packed full of options, without compromising the quality and
design parameters that make this type of microphone preamplifier so desirable.
- Utilizes premium gradeCineMag USA Transformers.
- 71db of gain.
- Transformer selection provides both Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output transformers for
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the
- Discrete Opamp selection allows for choosing between a 1731(vintage) and 918(cleaner)
style opamp. These are socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6 pin footprint
- Impedance switch labeled TONE to switch between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance.
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel sends instrument signal through entire circuit
including both Cinemag Transformers and the discrete opamps. Great for guitars, bass,
keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack.
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic for different characters.
- 80hz hipass filter.
- Polarity Reverse.
- +48V phantom power.
- Output attenuation allowsfor saturation flexibility of bothopamps and transformers.
- ¼" insert for the use of inline compressors, eq's etc.
- Balanced XLR mic (front and back), balanced TRS line, and ¼" instrument inputs.
- Balanced XLR and TRS outputs.
- -20db Pad.
- LED VU Meter.
- 19" rackmountable.
- External line-lump 24V AC power transformer for low noise.